SmackDown 1000 saw Rey Mysterio make his return to the blue brand, as well as appearances from The Undertaker, Edge, Evolution and the McMahons. According to PWInsider’s Mike Johnson, there were a lot of changes made to the show late in the day. Here are backstage notes from SmackDown 1000.
* There could have been a major problem with the Evolution reunion since Batista arrived late to Capital One Arena in Washington D.C. One source said that he actually arrived around just 20 minutes before the show went live on the USA Network.
* WWE creative originally planned to kick off SmackDown 1000 with Rey Mysterio vs. Shinsuke Nakamura in a WWE World Cup Qualifying Match, but there was a lot of shuffling of segments in the last few hours prior to the show.
* The Undertaker’s promo ended the show as planned, but it was supposed to go longer. The length of the promo, which targeted Triple H and Shawn Michaels, was eventually cut due to time constraints.
* WWE also cut time from Mysterio vs. Nakamura and Mysterio’s entrance.
* There was no change made to the length of Rusev vs. The Miz in a WWE World Cup Qualifying Match since it was supposed to be brief.
* Several backstage segments were cut from SmackDown 1000, including one involving James Ellsworth. WWE posted a video online of Ellsworth explaining to Mike Rome why he didn’t appear on the show.
* “Truth TV” with R-Truth, Carmella, Stephanie McMahon, Shane McMahon, and Vince McMahon was originally scheduled to take place later in the show rather than as the opener.
* There was talk of Christian appearing on SmackDown 1000. There’s no word if he was at the show.
* Kane was scheduled to be at the show but ended not going.
* Zack Ryder was backstage but not used.