Coming off his surprise appearance in the Men’s Royal Rumble Match last week, Rey Mysterio seems hopeful about returning to WWE for a longer stay.
“I want to say that there is a big possibility that I will be back,” Mysterio said in an interview with The Mirror last Thursday.”[We’re] figuring out what the situation is, you know from both ends. But there is definitely a positive feedback on behalf of the fans, on behalf of the WWE staff, and behalf of myself man.”
“I think we’re possibly going to sit down and negotiate something where we can both work together and have a good time and enjoy,” Mysterio said.
Mysterio was the most noteworthy surprise entrant in the Men’s Royal Rumble Match. He entered the contest at No. 27, received a strong reaction from the crowd, and was part of the final five in the match. He was eliminated by Finn Balor, with it coming down to Balor, Shinsuke Nakamura, John Cena, and Roman Reigns before Nakamura won by last eliminating Reigns.
Dave Meltzer reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that Mysterio’s appearance was scheduled to be a one-off, but the door is open for Mysterio to do more with the company based on his Rumble performance and the reaction he received from the audience. Meltzer noted that Mysterio has commitments “all over the world” right now, but he doesn’t have a contract with any organization.
A clip of Mysterio appearing in the Men’s Royal Rumble Match currently has nearly 12 million views on WWE’s YouTube channel. By comparison, WWE’s clip of Ronda Rousey confronting Asuka, Alexa Bliss, and Charlotte Flair has only garnered three million views.