Earlier this week, a report from The Sun claimed that Conor McGregor was in talks with WWE to make his in-ring debut at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans next April.
Dave Meltzer noted in this week’s edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that WWE claimed the report was “completely inaccurate” and that there had been no negotiations with McGregor, and UFC President Dana White reiterated that while appearing on Good Day New York on Thursday morning.
“It’s not true. It’s absolutely not true,” White said.
He revealed that he had just texted with Vince McMahon about the story and that McMahon had said it wasn’t accurate. The hosts of the show urged White to let them see the text messages, with White then showing them his phone.
McMahon texted White that he didn’t know anything about McGregor being in talks with WWE and that it was news to him, with White replying that he figured that was the case because WWE is always great about communicating with him. McMahon wrote that McGregor appearing in WWE may be a good idea someday but not now.
While a WrestleMania appearance may not be in the works, McGregor should be back in the UFC Octagon at the end of this year or in early 2018. A lightweight title defense against new interim champion Tony Ferguson has been mentioned as the most likely option, and a third matchup against Nate Diaz has also been speculated about as a possibility if Diaz will fight at a reasonable price.
Video of White discussing the McGregor-WWE rumors can be seen below.